Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Annie Sloan Paint Project



This is the best paint in the world. For furniture. I have been reading about it and was just dying to try it out. One of my favorite blogs, Mustard Seed Creations has been talking about this paint for a while. She paints the most beautiful pieces. Miss Mustard Seed has worked very hard to show us her beautiful furniture and has taken the time to show how she makes it. I am so grateful to her because I never could have done this table without her.


So my sister in law gave me this table to give to my girls for their apartment at college. This is a nice table...but not really their style so we decided to paint it but no Annie Sloan chalk paint to be found anywhere near us! Browsing the site one day I saw that a place in Robertsdale was about to open and would be stocking it. I went to Cottage Attitudes before they had even opened for business and checked out the paint and their cute shop. They are the sweetest ladies! I loaded up on Paris Grey, Old White and we also got the to die for Provence.

The detail.

Applying the paint is soooo easy. No prep work. Yes...no prep..no sanding...no stripping...just paint the chalk paint right over the stained, varnished or painted piece. Clean up is incredibly easy too. Just wash out the brush with water.

Painted and slightly distressed. One coat of paint and then a little sanding with fine sandpaper around the edges. Places that might get worn over time with use.



After the paint is dry and distressed I painted on the wax to seal and to give it a nice satin finish. Also available at Cottage Attitudes. Annie Sloan makes the wax in a dark or clear stain.

After you rub it with a soft cloth and buff away for a while you end up with a beautiful finish. And if you don't like it you can start all over and repaint (which is what happened. I put clear stain then the dark stain and we didn't like that effect so I painted Paris Grey all over again, redistressed, and clear wax only). Sorry about this pic, I tried and tried to rotate this picture and blogger wouldn't let me for some reason.





This is going to look good in the girls apartment (if it gets there!)

I wish I could take a picture worthy of the redo. But I am very happy with the looks of it and the actual "doing " of it too. The garage is full of furniture to paint and I may haul some more out there! More pictures to come of other pieces. I just wish it wasn't 98 degrees and 95% humidity out there. But it doesn't seem to bother the paint. I painted it twice and you can hardly tell I used some by looking in the can. Which is good cause it was a little expensive ($34.95) a can but soooo worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment