Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What a mess!

Link
This is my garage! It's full of furniture in different stages of painting. No parking my car in there for a while. Notice the fan. There is another fan not in the picture. Right now, the fan is my best friend. It is the only thing keeping me sane in the garage. Because it is so darn HOT!


There is a microwave stand, two chest of drawers, one dresser, a chair, 2 mirrors and lots of drawers crammed in there being painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.

This is where I have been spending most of my evenings lately. Lovely isn't it. Check out the bug spray. There are some unwelcome visitors hanging around. But the painting is coming along nicely despite the conditions. Most of the furniture pictured came from my mother in laws house. It all had to be cleaned first with soap and water and then washed with a vinegar and water solution to "desmoke" it. The smell was quite overpowering at first but the vinegar and water has cleared up that problem.

I think we used 1/3 cup vinegar to 4 cups water. And a spray bottle worked well for those hard to reach areas. This worked so well that I would purchase furniture in that condition if I really liked it...which I would never have considered before. Cigarette smoke really bothers my sinuses and gives me headaches. So if you run across some great furniture that needs a good scrubbing, give the vinegar solution a try. Worked for us!

I hope to have some After pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment